Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Picking up the tempo

Every fall it seems like life speeds up again after the unhurried pace of the summer. The kids have been in school for a month now and the rhythm of our days has changed. Gone are the days where the kids wake-up of their own volition and complain about going to bed because it isn't dark out yet. Now 7 am seems to early to wake up to the boys that were regularly playing well before that time just a month ago and continue to do so on the weekends. Bedtime is still the same but sees fewer battles because with fall comes the beginning of football and soccer. Dinner is late in the evening again due to late practice times 4 days a week. So the kids finish homework before practice and bathe while dinner is being prepared. Then my favorite time of day... reading to the boys before bed. We will sit and read as long as we can before they have to head upstairs go to sleep.
 Tyler is so proud, he filled an entire reading log in 2 weeks while most of his class is still on the first side. Jay reads to Tyler from his chapter book everyday to fill his 20 minutes of reading for homework. I am amazed at how well he is doing this year. His reading has improved greatly this year. Avery is learning to balance her social life and her school work. I am amazed at how quickly her phone fills up with text messages. She has a wonderful group of friends this year.
How does your life change when the kids head back to school?

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Granted, Hannah's younger but between preschool, and my school, I feel the increased pace. Oddly enough, I think part of missed it over the summer. Whenever I spend a whole day/evening running around, I remind myself that it's not going to get better Hannah gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've just started Hourly Care for Jericho, but if school is anything like this morning went, I'm not ready! Just another reason to rush, rush rush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Gretchen. I just picked Brendan up from his first football game--did I mention it's almost 9:00?? You know the craziness of my house well.--we seem to have some child activity from 4-7 every night of the week. so yes we have dinner late (love my crockpot!!) and the kids do homework on the fly when they can and then bathe and bed--we rush rush rush and it's never done.... I wouldn't have it any other way....

    ReplyDelete